Thursday, July 29

Let's Laud Cameron Diaz

I am 23 years old, I am not that fond of the human race and the notion of whiling away an entire lifetime with another being, in all honesty, sounds both moronic and horrifying to me. There I was attending my first ever wedding last summer, minutes away from witnessing the happy couple lawfully register their undying love for one another, and my now-late granddad asks, "So Adam, when are you getting married?" Not one to quash his generation-sparked hope, I politely ignored the situation and continued to listen to my portable radio (If you're gonna wed, why do it on the opening day of the season?!).

And not one to search out the wisdom of someone who once decided to star opposite the never-comic Jack Black, Cameron Diaz certainly called forth my cerebrum after a recent interview. She said: "I think the big misconception in our society is that we're supposed to meet the one when we're 18 and we're supposed to get married to them and love them for the rest of our lives. Bullshit." Hmm, yeah Cameron, you make a good point.

"Who would want to be with the same person for 80 years? Why not break it up a little bit?" Not me, Cameron. And yeah, I believe you're right! "I think people get freaked out about getting married and spending 20 or 30 years sleeping with the same person but if that's the case, don't do it. Have someone for five years and another person for another five years. Life is long and lucky and yes, love might last forever, but you don't always live with the person you love forever." OMG Cameron, you're so, so right. I SO know where you're coming from.

Maybe it's because I have never fallen in love with something that isn't a major football team out of the North of England. And that following my first few experiences of getting close to another, another turned out to be a total douche. Twice. But still, consuming 80 years with the exact same person, seeing their same, invariable face every time you wake up, yening for that small bit of seldom alone time - are you kidding me?! No way am I doing that, I'm freaked out about marriage because it's marriage, not because I wish to get married before I hit 30.

The divorce rate is reportedly at its lowest for 29 years in 2010. Is this something we should be celebrating, though? Why is separation considered a bad thing? I think people are right to split, it shows character, self-assuredness, confidence to go it alone and an attempt at this supposed supposition of happiness. Finally, I can't think of a better way to conclude this brief spot of musing with the words of one Cosmo. The only Cosmo worth knowing...



DL
Oasis 'Married With Children'