Saturday, July 10

Vampire Love

Don't you just love it when these big crazes come along? Like the Tamagotchi Generation One. Or garage (music). Heck, Primark even. And 'The Twilight Saga' is indisputably the most feverish movie/book franchise on planet Earth today. Its ballooning popularity in the run up to second instalment 'New Moon' is what first clenched my attentions - and if I was gonna watch the sequel, I had to check out the first. Both of which I was truly endowed with. They had a sorta trashy, modest value to them which to me justified all the hoopla. Plus, you know, have you SEEN Taylor Lautner?!
So today, as well as serve my excitement for third part 'Eclipse', I attempted to carry out an experiment. It is the second day of release after all, so I went into the pictures ready to observe these Twifans (correct term) for all their maddening vampire compulsion. Course, like most 23-year-old Jews who hero-worship George Costanza, crowded places are never a good look for me. But although the screening safetied my own disposition, it was disappointing not to see virtually every seat taken up. In fact, there were quite a few empty seats, though that could also have been down to the fact that the cinema was showing 'Eclipse' literally every half-hour.
A movie of this size naturally needs its actors to act - and boy do they! Kristen Stewart's outing as Bella Swan, in particular, won't bag her an Oscar nod - chiefly 'cause it's not that kinda flick - but don't let that take anything away from an entirely plausible performance. She's a telling tale, too, as author Stephenie Meyer questions if one should give all up for the sake of another. It's an old-school take but eventually finds its footing during the closing chapter.
The fight scenes pretty much revel in their humbleness - there's little overblown and essentially dull swishes and swashes. And the sequence in which Robert Pattinson's vamp Edward Cullen proposes to Bella is poignant beyond control, much thanks to Sia's 'My Love' - as an aside, 'Twilight' soundtracks are supreme in their own right (Thom Yorke, Vampire Weekend, Florence, Paramore and Death Cab have all contributed over the last three).
And just as I treat the vampires in HBO's 'True Blood' as representatives of all kinds of minorities, they and the werewolves play the same cards here, both species even coming together at one point to fight off Bella's evildoers.
It ain't all love, loss and bloodsucking, either. At times the film mimics itself for its weighty temper - Lautner's Jacob telling Edward that he should keep Bella warm in the hypothermic conditions because "I am hotter than you" speaks of a humorous extra layer.
But really, it's Bella's closing speech to Edward that rings true not only to Meyer's intention of bringing forward individualism, but to all those Twifans too needing a place in the world. Here's said-speech: "This wasn't a choice between you and Jacob - it was a choice between who I should be and who I am. I've always felt out of step - like, literally stumbling through my life - I've never felt normal, because I'm not normal. I don't want to be. I've had to face death, and loss, and pain in your world but I've also never felt stronger - like, more real; more myself - because it's my world, too. It's where I belong."
'Eclipse' for me worked as a confirmation that Bella isn't reliant on another and is entirely her true identity. 'Twilight', eh? Way more than just a craze.

DL
Ash 'Vampire Love'